As the hot and humid months of summer are quickly approaching, it is a good time to implement some practices that will prevent or reduce bathroom mold growth. Every bathroom accumulates moisture but by battling mold, you will keep the space clean, safe, healthy and also attractive.
What causes bathroom mold?
- High moisture levels due to lack of proper ventilation
- Leaky plumbing pipes and fixtures
Heat and moisture accumulate on a regular basis in bathrooms, providing the perfect environment for mold to grow. Not only can mold impact the appearance of your bathroom, it can also cause damage to your walls, floors, ceilings, and even your health. Mold prevention is essential in ensuring your bathroom is in good working order.
Follow these 7 easy tips to keep your bathroom mold-free!
- Check for Leaks – Examine all fixtures and piping under the sink for leaks which may quickly produce mold growth.
- Wipe Down Bathroom Surfaces – After a bath or shower, squeegee excess water off shower walls. This eliminates at least 75% of the moisture that supports mold and mildew growth.
- Turn on the Ventilation Fan – Every bathroom needs a powerful fan that should run during the shower or bath. It should remain running for about thirty minutes after to effectively suck the moisture out of the air.
- Keep Minimal Items in Shower/Tub – Store any necessary bottles or toys in wire baskets or on hooks. This will allow everything to drip dry.
- Clean the Bathroom Weekly – As dust is a food source for mold, dust your bathroom regularly with a dampened microfiber cloth. Scrub the toilets, counters, sinks, tub and walls, as well.
- Seal Grout Lines – If you have tile, it is important to seal grout lines once a year. A standard grout sealant is sufficient to prevent mold from growing in between the tiles.
- Manage Household Humidity Levels – If your house is already humid, it is advisable to use a dehumidifier or run the AC to help the moisture in the air.
By following these 7 easy steps, mold growth should reduce significantly. Remember – the best way to fight mold is to keep the bathroom dry! By implementing the practices above, your bathroom should continue to be a clean and healthy space to enjoy.
Should you have any questions or would like specific plumbing information, please contact Zeek Plumbing at 866-635-0200. We are happy to help you with any of your plumbing needs.