A bathroom remodel is the perfect time to improve its plumbing. Plan the plumbing modifications wisely so they are compatible with the new design. Zeek Plumbing is happy to consult with you in order to ensure the best plan of action.
The following are 5 important plumbing considerations to contemplate when designing your bathroom remodel:
1. Determine if you need to relocate plumbing fixtures
By changing the placement of certain fixtures the amount of time required for the remodel is greater, as well as, the overall cost.
For example, to transfer a toilet-
- Refitting pipes may be necessary.
- The plumber has to ensure that these new pipes do not interfere with the foundation.
- The relocation of vents may need to take place. This might affect the positioning of walls or other fixtures.
It is important to evaluate if the transfer of plumbing fixtures is necessary as the process may require a lot of time, effort, and money.
2. Enlarge the drain size if needed
If the drain is becoming clogged on a regular basis, a larger drain size should be a consideration. This increased drain size will help prevent the chance of clogs in the future.
3. Considering a curbless shower
A curbless shower is a popular option today but requires expert installation.
- The floor must be removed in order to place the shower base properly.
- The shower base must be sloped correctly. This will prevent any water deposits in the bathroom.
4. Hide plumbing lines or not?
The choice to hide plumbing lines or not is more of an aesthetic decision, yet is a serious commitment in that, any change once the job is complete, would not only be troublesome, but costly.
Exposing the pipes -> gives a more industrial look
Concealing the pipes -> gives a more modern and sleek aesthetic
The decision is purely a personal preference.
5. Update your plumbing fixtures
A remodel is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your existing fixtures. There are many eco-friendly fixtures today that can reduce your water consumption, save you money, and also look beautiful.
- Water-efficient showerheads -> save water while still providing the same amount of water pressure
- Water-saving bathroom faucets -> eco-friendly
- Low-flow toilets -> use significantly less water per flush
Choosing water-conserving fixtures, like a new and more efficient toilet, is one of the easiest ways to upgrade your bathroom’s performance and create a more environmentally friendly space.