With Thanksgiving only a week away, our experienced technicians are preparing for one of the busiest times of the year for plumbing disasters. In order to avoid a plumbing disaster, we advise you to follow these simple tips so your home’s plumbing system does not spoil your Thanksgiving celebration.
1. Don’t use your disposal like a trash can!
- Be mindful of what goes down the drain.
- Be sure to put cooking grease in its proper place.
- When grease is poured down the drain, it will eventually solidify and prohibit the flow of wastewater away from your home.
- Bottle leftover grease in jars, cans, or freeze it in a plastic container and then scrape it into the garbage.
- Potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, lettuce, oil, fat, bones, eggshells, coffee, and of course, grease – keep all of these items out of the disposal. They are difficult to grind, and therefore, may cause blockages in your drain.
- Always keep the cold water running when the disposal is on.
- Keep the disposal clean by pouring some dish soap down the drain. You may also drop a few slices of lemon peel in the disposal to keep it smelling pleasant.
2. Guard your toilets from non-flushable items (toilet paper only!)
- Place a waste bin in the bathroom for any items that should not be flushed.
- This will encourage your guests to throw any items in the bin, rather than flushing them.
3. Leave a plunger by each toilet
- By providing a plunger, you may save your guests the embarrassment of clogging the toilet.
4. Use a shower drain hair catcher
- With overnight guests, it is a good idea to add a shower drain hair catcher in every bathroom. The strainer prevents excess hair from entering your drains and causing clogs.
5. Fix any existing plumbing issues BEFORE Thanksgiving
- Minor plumbing problems can quickly turn into major plumbing problems when they are left unresolved.
- If you have a clogged or slow running drain, a leaky faucet, or an old water heater ready to give out – call Zeek Plumbing today to make the repairs in time for the holiday!
By following the tips outlined above, you can be sure to enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday free of plumbing problems. Zeek Plumbing is here to help you avoid a potential plumbing disaster – 866-635-0200.